Long Sat Nams help you to calm down, paying attention to your breath is the first step. It completely neutralizes tension. This mantra will help you locate, consolidate and open up the fourth (heart) and the fifth (throat) chakras. This mantra is used to bless food. SAT means the truth. NAM means name, identity, to identify with or to call upon. SAT NAM can be translated as "Truth is God's Name. Truth is my (your, our) identity." Sat Nam is pronounced like "but mom". The breath and the state of the mind are intricately linked. We can control our minds by controlling our breath. To create a state of peace and relaxation we must breathe less than 10 breaths per minute. Breathing four or less breaths per minute induces a state of meditation. We must also inhale and exhale through the nose.
- Right before you run out of air, say Nam
- Sit with a straight spine, either in easy cross-legged pose, or in a chair with the feet on the floor.
- Bring the hands to the heart,
- palms facing the chest,
- left hand on top of right.
- Place the left thumb in the center of the right palm.
- The fingers of both hands are together and straight.
- The hands gently rest against the chest, arms are relaxed on the body.
- Eyes are 9/10 closed to begin with. As the meditation progresses, they may close completely.
- Sat Nam is pronounced Butt Mom
- Inhale with a long deep breath.(mentally inhale Sat)
- On the exhale chant out loud SAAAAAAAAAAAAT
- At the end of the breath say NAM, very short.
- Let yourself relax and release with the AAAAAAA.
- NAM is like the anchor. Feel the sound anchor you in your body.
- Then inhale deeply again and continue.
- Feel the sound of the AAAAAA come from the heart.
This is a good way to release and balance the emotions.
At the end of the meditation, inhale deeply, hold the breath as long as you wish. Listen inside and be one with the experience. Do this 3 times. Then sit quietly or lie down and completely relax. Begin with 3 to 5 minutes and build to 11, 15, 22 or 31 minutes.
BENEFITS This is a very relaxing meditation. It completely neutralizes tension and brings you to a very peaceful state. It is good to do if you feel overwhelmed with your daily activities or have too much intense energy in your body. The simplest and most basic meditation in Kundalini yoga is chanting long SAT NAM's. (found on MANTRAS OF THE MASTER-CD)
(I use Long Sat Nams when I feel overwhelmed. It is very relaxing and allows me to gain insights. i sometimes chant this several times a day, as computer work and website making, does me in.. )