Seva Project for December was a wonderful success
I Grow Chicago’s Holiday Gift Giveaway for Englewood Families
On December 18, 2016 I Grow Chicago repeats its annual Gift Giveaway project. I Grow has given hundreds of gifts to families in the Englwood neighborhood who, in turn, give them to their children on Xmas day. Spirit Rising Foundation partnered in the founding of I Grow (and Shiva Singh is a Board Member) and we'd like to sponsor 30 families with wrapped gifts, specifically for boys and/or specifically for girls. The gifts can also be gender neutral. Of course, please, no gifts that are violent in nature.
"We will be known for our service." Yogi Bhajan
To be known by our service. The work we do, practicing yoga and meditation, making important lifestyle choices has a greater goal that is to serve the community at large through useful and authentic ways. To achieve this goal we seek opportunities in Chicagoland and outside our local area to serve others without any thought for self.
Check in regularly to learn what we're planning and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call for information or to offer your skills, time and energy.
We instituted the Kenny Velez/Guru Kar Singh Memorial Scholarship Fund in 2009 to assist aspiring Kundalini Yoga teachers participate in the Level 1 Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training Course by providing needed financial support in meeting its tuition costs.
A key requirement of the Scholarship is post graduation 25 hours of Seva teaching yoga to a preselected under-served population.
Contact us at email@example.com to learn the latest opportunity for Seva
Some wonderful quotes about Seva:
"Never hesitate to go to the aid of the unfortunate for fear of ingratitude."
- Leonidas Polemis
"Never say or do anything that would make a person feel bad about who they are or what they've done, just serve them."
- Yogi Bhajan
"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy."
- Rabindranath Tagore
“Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.”
- Albert Schweitzer
“If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one.”
- Mother Teresa
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."
- Anne Frank
"Service creates permanent love and friendship. Self-discipline creates grace. And the neutral mind creates wisdom. These are the rules of life."
- Yogi Bhajan 7/11/95
Seva Projects in the past included:
- SRF is sponsoring an internship for a previously incarcerated yoga student who is also a student at the Illinois Center for Broadcasting.
- For over a year we have partnered with Beth and Terry Range Kiely at Om on the Range to provide scores of yoga mats for underserved communities including at-risk youth and domestic violence shelters.
- October 2012 - to Present - Providing ongoing Yoga in Chairs! Classes to seniors in various locations in the Chicagoland area including Oak Park Arms Senior Home, Weiss Hospital Senior Center, The Imperial Nursing Home and the Breakers. Continues to be well received with up to 20 participants at a time! Seniors express the practices have made a real impact in their lives.
- February 24, 2013 - Ronald McDonald House Chicago, "Oscar Party" for families of hospitalized children including snacks, children and adult activities.
- January 2013 - No cost on-going drop-in Yoga classes for previously incarcerated youth
- January 21, 2013 - Montessori School of Englewood - Martin Luther King Day Celebration, Our 15 volunteers helped facilitated Yoga for children, Children's Art Activities and supported classes on Urban Farming and actively participated in a Peace Circle.
- December, 2012 - Bipolar Depression Support Group - Presented Yogic practices that have shown to be helpful for those living with Bipolar Disorder and depression
- October 2012 - MS Support Group Forest Park, IL - Presented Yogic practices that have been shown helpful to reduce symptoms for those with MS.
- August 2012 Feed the Hungry - Englewood Neighborhood, Chicago - Partnered with I Grow Chicago to feed over 350 needy people with locally grown produce and provided yoga and story-telling activities for at risk youth. (Gun shots were fired nearby during the afternoon, such is the life in that neighborhood.)
- Summer 2012 - I Grow Chicago - Teach yoga classes for at risk youth in Chicago's crime-ridden Englewood neighborhood as a part of their summer program.
- August 2012 - Oak Creek, WI Sikh Temple - Provided Therapeutic Children's Yoga Activities as a part of the Team of Therapists helping the community deal with the tragedy they faced
- Nov. 25, 2011 - No More Left-Overs! Special Post-Thanksgiving luncheon for families at Courtenay Language Arts Academy 1726 W. Berteau Ave Chicago, IL 60613. Partnered with the American Sikh Community has been sponsoring Thanksgiving meals since 1992 for thousands of people over the years. Even though it is in affluent Lake View, half a block from the Mayor's house, over 86% of the families live below poverty level.
- July 2011 - April 2012 - Scholarship Seva UCAN - Woman's Center, Prenatal Yoga to young pregnant woman.
- May 2010 - Snatam Kaur & GuruGanesha Singh Events - Paint the Fence
- April 2010 - Chicago Books To Women In Prison program - Helped gather books for incarcerated women in Illinois prisons.
- March 2010 - Peoples Church - 2 Li'l Fishes Lunch Program - Helped feed the homeless
- February 2010 - Breaking Bread at LaSalle Street Church - Helped feed the homeless
- January 2010 - Children's Yoga at The Chicago House
- December 2009 - Children's Memorial Hospital - Sponsored an Italian -style dinner for families of hospitalized children.
- October 2009 - North Park Village Nature Center - Another family oriented seva project we helped gather seed.
- September 2009 - Food For Folks Program - Helped feed the homeless
- May, June 2009 - Snatam Kaur Summer in Chicago 2009
- March, April and May 2009 - Spring Cleaning @Spirit Rising Yoga Center
- January 2009 - Operation Love From Home
Tasks and Projects Now
Spirit Rising Yoga Center (SRY)
- dusting the shelves, books, etc.
- vacuuming floors
- periodic washing floors
- water and care for the plants
- monitoring drinking water
- tidying blankets mats/laundry once a month
- organizing bookshelves
- Location Location Location - Help determine what we would best need and find that new location for SRY to share more of the teachings to more people and impact their lives.
- Long Term Library project, copy, organize by topic and catalog loose notes and out of print materials
- Yogi Bhajan Lecture Audio Tapes - identify dates that are already in digital form at Yogi Bhajan Library of Teachings
- Long Term Yogi Bhajan Lecture Audio Tapes Project - listen to audio tapes and transcribe unique teachings including but not limited to yoga exercises and sets, meditations, food and diet, relationships and predictions. Requires Audio Tape player and to research Library of Teachings to make sure it has not already done.
- Social Networking - To access social networking sites, etc. understand how they work and update with SRY events, classes, workshops, interesting articles, etc.
Champions - Those who enjoy and are passionate about a part of what helps us grow and serve Spirit Rising Foundation
Seva Champions - to identify seva opportunities in the broader communities to share the teachings in under served communities
Social Networking Champions - who are regular users of Facebook, and other social networking sites, understand how they work and update with SRF events, seva opportunities, interesting articles, etc. that move forward SRF's mission.
Outreach Champions - helping create new ways to let people know about what we are doing and to inspire folks to be a part of our SRF community, such as postcards, handouts, stickers, and frankly what really works for people.
SRF Website Contributor Champions - Be a regular contributor to our website to keep it updated, contemporary, inspiring and interesting. Blogging, articles, testimonials, humor, recipes, images like in any publication or website various contributors who cover food or seniors, or the Universe as long as it is graceful and conscious.
Visionary Champions - Long term planning, visioning, dreamers and imagining.