About the Kenny Velez/Guru Kar Singh Memorial Teacher Training Scholarship 2016-2017
Kenny Velez/Guru Kar Singh was a beloved friend and an extraordinary yoga teacher who taught with integrity, nobility and grace. His love for gardening and organic cooking was exceeded only by his love for the many souls around him. He was deeply loved, known for his 'exuberant compassion' in putting others first as a trusted listener, provoking soul and nurturing friend. Guru Kar Singh lived as a yogi and inspired many students to excel in the face of difficulty. Kenny was doubly committed to teacher training, participating in the Kundalini Research Institute’s Level 1 Teacher Training program in New York City, and then graduating from the Spirit Rising Yoga Teacher Training program in 2008. He was a dedicated teacher who made every effort to improve the lives of his students and people around him until his untimely passing in April, 2009.
To honor his legacy, the Spirit Rising Foundation established the Kenny Velez/Guru Kar Singh Memorial Scholarship Fund. Contributions to this fund will assist aspiring Kundalini Yoga teachers participate in the Level 1 Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training Course by providing needed financial support in meeting its tuition costs. Pays a significant portion of the tuition of a trainee who, for financial reasons, would otherwise not be able to participate in the program and who have committed to completing the seva requirements of this scholarship, including providing 25 hours of yoga classes to people who would not otherwise be able to participate in yoga classes. About Teacher Training The Kundalini Research Institute’s Level 1 Teacher Training Course is an international certification program designed for practitioners of all levels who want to learn and master the techniques of Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan and deepen their personal practice. Graduates are certified as Instructors and are prepared to teach Kundalini Yoga anywhere in the world. Kundalini Yoga, known as the Yoga of Awareness, combines postures, breath, movement, mantra and meditation to relax, strengthen and elevate. It is a practice that encourages community and develops leaders in service to humanity, ideal for the turbulent and challenging times in which we live.
Scholarship Selection Committee
A selection committee is composed of individuals from the local Kundalini Yoga community. Representatives from the Spirit Rising Foundation Financial Committee and the previous year’s scholarship recipient(s) often play a part in the selection of award winners. Scholarship donors with a desire to participate in the selection process are invited to serve on the committee. Donors may not designate family members as scholarship recipients. Committee members must not include the course trainers.
How Scholarships are Awarded Scholarships are applied toward tuition expenses. At this time, scholarship funds are awarded for up to 50% or more of course tuition (pre-registered rate). Depending on the current status of the scholarship fund, scholarship awards may be split, with varying amounts awarded to multiple scholarship recipients. Recipients are responsible for paying the remaining percentage of the tuition amount, and must commit to a certain number of hours of yoga teaching time after graduation in an under-served population, as agreed upon in the Scholarship agreement.
Scholarship Award Criteria Scholarships candidates will be considered on the following criteria:
- Enthusiasm for practicing and sharing the teachings of Kundalini yoga and meditation as taught by Yogi Bhajan
- Demonstrated Financial Need
- Ability/Commitment to completing the agreed-upon number of hours teaching Kundalini Yoga hours to an under-served population following graduation
- References are verified and positive characteristics are confirmed
- Other qualities:
- Demonstrates maturity
- Engages well with others
- Personal or Professional References convey that the candidate comes through ontheir commitments and shows personal discipline, and that they are organized and hardworking.
- Scholarship Applicants must complete the following:
- Registration Form for Level 1 Teacher Training
- Entrance interview with Course trainer(s)
- Application Form for Memorial Scholarship
- Interview with Scholarship Selection committee
- Follow-through in completing teaching-hours after graduation
- Consistent, monthly reports of progress of teaching-hours with trainers or representative of Spirit Rising Foundation
All Scholarship applicants will be notified of award decisions by September 1st, 2016.
Duties of Scholarship Selection Chairperson
- Meet with SRF representative to go over details of scholarship and chair position
- Introduce herself/himself to fellow committee members via email or phone call
- Forward copies of completed applications to committee members
- Verify all personal and work references of each applicant, keep notes to share with committee members as appropriate
- Decide on interview location and blocks of available time with committee members
- Schedule interviews with each applicant, communicate directly with them
- Discuss the merits of all the candidates with the committee members after all the interviews have been completed
- Lead a vote and as a committee, reach a decision about which scholarship candidate(s) will become the recipient
- Display leadership qualities, ethical boundaries, utmost discretion and confidentiality in al lstages of scholarship selection process
- Communicate immediately with SRF representative/trainers the final selection of the scholarship recipient(s)
Spirit Rising Foundation stands in gratitude to the chairperson and members of the Scholarship Selection Committee for the time and energy they give to this process. May the memory of Kenny Velez/Guru Kar Singh live for many generations to come.