In Kundalini Yoga, the Most Important Thing is Experience.
Your experience goes right into your heart. No words can replace that experience. Your consciousness will not accept just words. Your mind may accept the words or it may not. The purpose of all our effort is simply to extend your awareness in your consciousness, so you can have a broader horizon of grace and of knowing the Truth. When you have this foundation in experience and a base of positive habits, then you can smoothly plan your life to any extent you like. You can radiate creativity and infinity in all aspects of your dally life.
"This is the practical result of yoga. It is the capacity and right to live a happy, healthy and holy life.
That is why we call our yoga family 3HO (Happy, Healthy, Holy Organization)." ~ Yogi Bhajan 1970.
What is Kundalini?
You experience it when the energy of the glandular system combines with the nervous system to create such sensitivity that the brain in its totality receives signals and integrates them. Normally, you use a small portion of the brain's potential. A new clarity accompanies your perception, thought and intuition. When kundalini awakens, a person understands the effect and impact of an action at the beginning of a sequence of actions and reaction. He has the choice to take the action or not take the action. In other words, a person becomes totally and wholly aware. That is why it is called the "yoga of awareness." Just as all rivers end up in the ocean, all yogas end up raising the Kundalini. What is the Kundalini? It is the creative potential of the human being.
To get this experience a little technology is needed. After the 8th year of life, the pineal gland does not secrete fully. Some people think it is functionless in the human structure. Kundalini yoga activates its dormant potential in the brain. It needs to tap the reserve energy that is stored near your belly-button area, the navel point. There is a pure source of energy at the navel area that is known, perceived and understood by Yogis. It is that pure energy that guides and develops your shape and connects you to this earth. That connection and that pure energy is still there. It is part of your subtle structure as a human being. All you have to do is uncoil that energy and make a functional connection with your pineal gland. Once that master gland, the channel of the soul, has started secreting, it will give will give you the power to reach your self-realization in relationship to the total universal awareness."
Yogi Bhajan explained that we often feel inadequate or in need. Then we generate desires to calm the insecurity. We reach for many things to satisfy that feeling of inner weakness. Ultimately, nothing really works. So, we turn to the infinite, the unknown and the idea of God. "God" as a concept is something that we created. We often experience that, based on our own mind. It is the mind experiencing the mind's belief. The reality of God and consciousness is beyond that and cannot be contained in any special imagination.
Part of that reality is that you are a flow of energies. You have 10 bodies that allow you to act in many realms. When the energy bubble that is your personal aura is tuned to the universal magnetic field, you are well mentally and physically. There are specific ways you can trigger the inflow of the cosmic life energy Yogi Bhajan 10/22/89
Outline of topics discussed during Teacher's Training Class
September 7, 2003
Quotes of Yogi Bhajan (from Page 1)
Teacher's Training Manual: Sources Preparing to Teach Kundalini Yoga class; Chapter III – Possible Human; Chapter IV – Awakening through the Body
The Law of Shunia (Zero): You have to become zero to let the teachings pass through purely. Expansion through release "not this, not this" empty – clear – radiant – pervasive – single awareness of pure being/consciousness
Teacher's Oath: "I am not a woman." (Mercury finger down "I am not a man." (Sun finger down) "I am not a person." (Saturn finger down) "I am not myself." (Jupiter finger down) "I am a teacher." (Thumb stays up)
Five Stages on the Path of Wisdom
Saram Pad: Novice
Karam Pad: Apprentice
Shakti Pad: Practitioner
Sehej ad: Expert
Sat Pad: Master
Bana, bani, seva, simran
Bana: clothing (white) and appearance
Bani: Speaking from the heart
Seva: Teach as a service
Simran: Vibrate from the strength of your Sadhana
The Law of Sustenance:
To support the student through the teaching The Law of Deliverance: To deliver the student to the Infinite not oneself
The Golden Link:
Chanting Adi Mantra links the individual unit of consciousness to the Infinite.
Threefold structure of a Human Being:
3. Spirit (Soul)
Teacher's Role: To Serve the Student
1. Must lead the energy of the class 2. Explain what is yoga and Kundalini Yoga 3 .Goal of teaching is to develop Self Mastery, and overcome self imposed limitations 4. To develop stillness to establish the Observing Self 5. Establish the neutral mind to overcome inner conflicts 6. The energy of consciousness is Kundalini 7. Trigger finite coiled (potential) Awareness to Infinite uncoiled Awareness 8. Direct students to the teachings, KY sources and all righteous teachings.
- Adi Mantra: Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo is the beginning of all KY personal practice and classes
- Pranayama (Channel Cleansing)
- Kriya: Do postures and movements correctly and accurately (not necessarily perfectly, the real vs the ideal)
- 1 to 8 exercises of 1 to 3 minutes each, with 30 seconds to 3 minutes rest (i.e., each KY exercise produces a meditation on radiance that gradually transforms, transmutes and transfigures the identity to thoughts and images and sensations to expanding, deepening pervasive radiance.)
- Relax (yoga nidra)
- Closing - Long Time Sunshine Song*
- Long Sat Nam (Sa: Infinite; Sat: Truth; Nam: Name / Identity)
*Long Time Sunshine Song
May the long time sun shine upon you
All love surround you
And the pure light within you
Guide yo ur way on
This is a traditional Irish blessing that was the closing verse of a song by the Incredible String Band called "A Very Cellular Song". Yogi Bhajan heard it played in the early days of 3HO and had us sing it at the close of every class to remind us of our roots in the '60's consciousness and close classes.
Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training Class September 14, 2003
Review of Class from September 7, plus Asanas, Mudras and Meditation
The Law of Sustenance:
- "Keep Up! Once you are the representative of the student's higher consciousness, never betray that projection.
- If you do, it is the equivalent to a self-limiting Karma that gives you teachers that shall mislead you.
- Be as the Spirit is: Steady, timeless, graceful and trustworthy.
The Law of Deliverance:
Deliver the student to the infinite, not to you. Elevate the student to the awareness of the infinite within them. Connect the student to the flow of teachings in Kundalini Yoga. That will always stay with them and support them.
- Cobra Pose
- Shoulder Stand
- Torso Twists
- Leg Lifts
- Stretch Backs
- Plough Pose
- Neck Turns
- Full Forward Bends
- Bow Pose
- Spinal Flex
- Gyan Mudra
- Venus Lock
- Bear Grip
- Integration of a new pattern after an old pattern is broken
- Creation of a rhythm or pulse of energy
- Handling of stress
- Negative Mind – Protective, first to respond, "not this, not this"
- Positive Mind – inclusion, openness, expansive Mind
- Neutral Mind – "I am, I am" – the beginning
Sources from Yogi Bhajan Lectures