Of all the 20 types of yoga, including Kundalini Yoga, Sodarshan Chakra Kriya is the highest kriya. This meditation cuts all darkness. It will give you a new start. It is the simplest kriya, but at the same time the hardest. It cuts through all barriers of the neurotic or psychotic inside-nature. When a person is in a very bad state, techniques imposed from the outside will not work. The pressure has to be stimulated from within. This kriya invokes the Kundalini to give you the necessary vitality and intuition to combat the negative effects of the subconscious mind. In this video, Kundalini Yoga teacher Anne Novak explains the ins and outs of So Darshan Chakra Kriya, what Yogi Bhajan said was the highest kriya in Kundalini yoga. One of the three master Aquarian Age kriyas (along with Sat Kriya and Kirtan Kriya), doing So Darshan Chakra Kriya is a way to master yourself.
It is like clearing out the trash from our subconscious. It is a powerful meditation and can be tricky for a beginner to pick up, so Anne Novak has clearly and expertly explained how to do this powerful meditation.
The music Anne Novak is using is Guru Shabad Singh's "Wahe Guru Wahi Jio" from the album "Ong".
New recording is "Wahe Guru for Sodarshan Chakra Kriya" by Gurucharan Singh Khalsa & Gurusangat Singh. Both albums chant Wahe Guru 16 times, then break so you can exhale, and take the next breath. Both can be found at either Ancient Healing Ways or Spirit Voyage.
Yogi Bhajan talks about intuition
And Shows how to do Sodarshan Kriya in this video.
Posture: Sit with a straight spine
- Block off the right nostril with the right thumb.
- Inhale slowly and deep through the left nostril.
- Then hold the breath by suspending the action of breathing and lifting the chest slightly.
- Keep the chin locked in Jalandhara Bhanda (chin lock)
- while you mentally chant"Wahe Guru" 16 times,
- pumping the navel point 3 times with each repetition,
- once on Wha,
- once on Hey, and
- once on Guru - for a total of 48 pumps.
- Release the right nostril.
- Place the index finger (pinkie finger can also be used) to block of the left nostril,
- exhale slowly and completely through the right nostril.
- Continue to repeat this sequence of breathing, holding and pumping.
- Look at the tip of the nose
- eyes 9/10ths closed
End of Meditation:
- Inhale, hold 5-10 seconds, exhale.
- Then stretch your arms up high
- shake every part of your body for about 1 min.
- so that the energy may spread.
- At this point you can do One Minute Breath
- or simply do a layout.
- Breath and be still.
- Circulate the energy and integrate the experience.
- Allow the adjustment to take place.
See Comments Below:
Guru Tej Kaur asked Yogi Bhajan for a 1000 day meditation, he gave her Sodarshan and she has now been doing it for 18 years, from: Spirit Voyage's Summer Solstice 2008 Special Edition - Focus on Teachers and Musicians.
"I love So Darshan Chakra Kriya. I've been doing it for 62 minutes a day for 15 years," Sham Rang - Message #9919 from the Yahoo Group.
NOTE: There has been more than one description of Sodarshan Ckakra Kriya circulating around. Nam Kaur checked with Yogi Bhajan and he clearly confirmed that there is only one version of Sodarshan Chakra Kriya. The correct description is included below.
"Now, most powerful and beautiful is Sodarshan Chakra Kriya. I thought that I have taught for so many years, now people are ready for it. We didn't start teaching it the first day. For me (I do not know about anyone else) it took 30 years to be able to control my left and right nostrils without holding them with my fingers. And I still do that sometimes when I feel very weak - I use my hand and fingers. Somebody can say, "Switching nostrils is not needed since the air coming through the right nostril and the left nostril meets."We shall not take any responsibility for such wrong practices! What the hell is one creating? Disturbing the pituitary, the master command gland? These kinds of jokes will end by themselves, but it will be dangerous for those who practice it wrong. There is nothing in the teachings which are not clearly stated and which have not worked accurately".
~ Yogi Bhajan Gurdwara Sunday, December 22nd, 2002
IKYTA often receives questions from teachers about the science of Kundalini Yoga, asking if it is okay to substitute or delete exercises in a kriya, or teach only one part of a three-part meditation, etc. We have even been asked if it is okay to teach a Kundalini Yoga meditation in a Hatha Yoga class! Yogi Bhajan explained that this is not permissible, that Kundalini Yoga should not be mixed with other forms of yoga, and kriyas should not be changed in any way, except to shorten the times of the exercises if desired. I'll pass on another direct quote from Yogi Bhajan which says it best:
"The Teachings are the Teachings, and have no one's personality in them. I never edit them; you should not edit them. It is a Golden Chain. My own prayer is that you can perfect what it is, and go with it. It is a funny thing. It is a three thousand year old proven path - it's not going to stop. Why do you want to add or subtract something - to satisfy your ego or convince students? It is very deceitful on the part of a teacher to teach teachings to please people. So honestly give people what we have. Teach like me. Teach exactly as it is. If you are not going to teach Kundalini Yoga purely, then don't teach it at all. With Kundalini Yoga you are dealing with the life force of the atom.
Don't play with the pranic energy".
~ Yogi Bhajan
This is one of the greatest meditations you can practice. According to the tantra shastras, it can make you perfect your potential and be a superhuman human. It purifies your past and the subconscious impulses that may block you from fulfilling and balance all the 27 facets of the life and mental projection. And in those 27 total virtues of the world lies the entire universe. So start with 31 min, then after a while do it for 40 minutes, then for 62 min.
- If you do this meditation for 62 minutes to start with,
- and develop to the point that you can do it 2-1/2 hours a day, 1/10th of the day,
- it gives you "Nao niddhi athara siddhi";
- that is you will get the nine precious virtues and the 18 occult powers.
- It opens your inner universe to relate, co-create and
- complete the external universe.
- At 2-1/2 hours every day,
- it makes out of you a perfect superman.
- It purifies, it takes care of the human life and
- brings together all 27 facets of life
- and makes a human perfect, saintly, successful and qualified.
- It gives you the pranic power of health and healing.
- It establishes inner happiness and a state of flow and ecstasy in life.
- The kriya never fails.
To gain these benefits requires different efforts from different people. Each mind has stored up its own pile of negative thought and energy. So each pit is cleaned on its own time and scale. You decide how much time you have and you need to invest in this practice. Treat the practice with reverence and increase your depth, dimensions, caliber and happiness. It gives you a new start against all odds. It saves you when internal pressures have become too great for any external influence or solution. It gives you the ability to stimulate your self from inside.
There is no time, no place, no space and no condition attached to this mantra. Each garbage pit has its own time to clear. If you are going to clean your own garbage, you must estimate and clean it as fast as you can, or as slow as you want. You have to decide how much time you have to clean up your garbage pit.
Suggested length for this kriya is 31 minutes or 62 minutes a day.
Note: This is how the Siri Singh Sahib kept track of the counting. We do not have to do it this way. There are 2 cds that use the chanting to count the 16 times.
- Inhale blocking the right nostril with the right thumb,
- other fingers held straight up in the air.
- And then I hold,
- and then I count '16' - - how?
- One. two. three -- counts with the pinkie finger, moving it slightly three times.
- Four, Five, six -- moves the ring finger three times.
- Seven, eight, nine -- moves the middle or Saturn finger three times.
- Ten, eleven, twelve: -- moves the index finger three times.
- Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen -- moves the thumb slightly for three beats.
- Sixteen -- brings the index finger over to block off the left nostril,
- as he releases the right thumb from the right nostril.
- Then Exhale through right nostril.
Note: Additionally, Yogi Bhajan has "suggested" tha we follow any Kriya with One Minute Breath:
- 20 seconds slow inhale,
- 20 seconds suspending the breath
- and 20 seconds slowly releasing the breath.
- Do this for up to 11 minutes.
- If you have trouble with 20 seconds then do 15 seconds.
- Don't beat yourself up.
This should be a delicious experience where you savor the subtlety of your efforts. This will allow your whole psyche to fully assimilate and digest the Kriya consciously and will help you sustain the effects of your practice.
Note: The following section is from a Kundalini Yoga site, but not one aligned with Yogi Bhajan. I have included it because I can't hold my breath long enough to do the 3 pumps.. Sat Avtar Kaur
Beginners Sodarshan Chakra Kriya: Modify kriya as follows: Do only 1 pump for each chant of Wahay Guru. So in total with your breath held in you will do 16 pumps per cycle. Also, reduce the force of the pump to where you are comfortable. Start with 3 minutes and build up to 11 minutes. The kriya should be practiced daily.
Intermediates Sodarshan Chakra Kriya: Modify kriya as follows: Do only 2 pumps for each chant of Wahay Guru. One for Wahay and one for Guru. So in total you will do 32 pumps with your breath held in per cycle. Pump your stomach with a moderate force. You should try to do 11 minutes, then go to 22 minutes and then to 31 minutes daily.
Advanced Sodarshan Chakra Kriya: Do the kriya as described above in the description section. You should be pumping your stomach with full force and you should do 31 minutes daily. The commitment should be to do 40 days without missing a day, 31 minutes each day.
To do the Perfect and complete kriya and thus extract the maximum benefit and reach super human caliber, the requirement is to do 62 minutes per day and build it up to 2 1/2 hours everyday.
SodarshanChakra Kriya also improves your physical wellbeing. It expands your nervous system, respiratory system and helps your digestive system and gives a boost to the immune system. It promotes peace, joy and strength.
Breathing in through the left nostril activates the right hemisphere of the brain. This hemisphere is responsible for your meditative, creative and artistic powers.
The mantra itself, Wahay Guru, means ecstasy beyond words and represents one's higher consciousness. Chanting this mantra attracts this divine energy towards one.
Pumping the navel helps ignite and awaken Kundalini Shakti so she can make her ascent up the spine to the Crown Chakra (Sahasrara Chakra) activating, rejuvenating, balancing and healing all the other Chakras and associated organs in her path.